Sunday, July 10, 2011

Question of the day - How do you find the strength to take the difficult path?



   Finding Strength to take the difficult path - a difficult question to answer




I tried to identify some moments in my life when I've had to take a difficult path and found there were several. But the following, I think, illustrate the different "strengths" that helped me walk the difficult path:


Emigrating to a new country
Leaving my home and moving to a new country was a daunting prospect for me. I had absolutely no idea what was in store for me. Besides which, I loved living in the country of my birth and leaving family and friends behind was an extremely sad event for me. But I believed that emigrating would provide my children with better opportunities and a less stressful life. Wanting the best for your child is such a great motivator and it gives you the strength and courage to do things you never thought you could do.

The death of my father
Letting go and allowing my father to pass away peacefully is the hardest decision I have made in my life to date. Watching him struggle in the last hours of his life was heartbreaking. I was very close to my dad and though as he grew older I silently prepared for the day when I would have to say goodbye to him, you are never really prepared. Letting him go in peace was the most loving thing I could do even though it broke my heart. Love gives you immense strength.

An ended relationship
Sad, angry, lonely and very, very scared do not begin to describe the emotions I went through when my 28 year relationship ended. I had immense support from my family and friends but I also had the faith that the end came for a reason and that things always happen for the best. Someday I know I will share life with the man of my dreams, my beautiful soulmate. Faith gives me strength to go on.

Taking a stand against bullying
Taking a stand against someone in a position of power is not an easy thing to do. But I tell myself in those events ... "we do not come to work to be abused and insulted. It is my human right to be treated with dignity and respect." Sometimes I feel the fear, sometimes I don't but in all circumstances, those words give me the courage to fight back. Courage and self respect give you great strength.

When I feel I am out of my depth
About 12 years ago I was given a huge project to manage at work. I had never managed a project of this scale and I know as I walked out of my managers office the words going through my mind were ... Oh my God, I am completely out of my depth here. But I love a challenge and an opportunity to learn and grow so rapidly was thrilling and exciting. I also had a manager who supported me, had the faith and trust in me, and above all encouraged me every step of the way. Encouragement gives you great strength. And when someone puts their faith and trust in you, you find the will and the way to never let them down.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment so I know you visited.

However, any inappropriate comments will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright Protection