Sunday, September 1, 2013

Going places - Krishna Yatra

I am taking part in the Write Tribe Festival of Words from September 1 - 7. The theme for this festival is "7" and mine is:

Going Places -  7 journeys I would like to take.

This wasn't as easy as I thought it would be but eventually I made a list and then culled back to the 7 that my heart truly rejoiced with.  And as I closed in on my 7, I was surprised that all 7 turned up in my beloved and beautiful homeland of India. 

I've always wondered what it must've been like to live in the times when the Gods walked the earth. And since I won't have the pleasure of experiencing that in this lifetime, the next best thing would be to visit the places where they lived and perhaps imagine myself in that time.

There is no particular order to my journeys, but as I'm also linking this post for the letter G at ABC Wednesday, my first is a Lord Krishna Yatra (pilgrimage or journey).

Krishna and Radha 
image source - google images

Lord Krishna was the 8th avatar of Bhagwan Vishnu one of the three Supreme God's in the Hindu religion.

Lord Krishna also lovingly known as Gopala (protector of cows), Govinda (one who enlivens the senses)  was born in Mathura and spent his childhood as a cowherd in Gokul and Vrindavan situated on the banks of the river Yamuna (a tributary of the Ganges) in the Mathura District of Uttar Pradesh. Thereafter he moved to Dwarka in Gujarat where he ruled for many years until his death.

Lord Krishna was also adored by the Gopis (cowherd girls) of Vrindavan with whom he danced. It is said that he would appear in front of each Gopi serenading each one separately. This was his Ras Lila (Divine play). The most famous of them was Radha who was the beloved of Lord Krishna. The Gopis were enchanted by the sound of Lord Krishna's bansuri (flute) and would dance while he played. Rather than a romantic twist, this was Supreme Bhakti (selfless devotion to God) and the Lord's equal love for all beings.

The Bhagavad Gita, the song of Bhagavan (God), the Hindu scriptures, was relayed by Lord Krishna via a conversation with Prince Arjun during the battle of Kurukshetra in the epic The Mahabharata. The Gita provides us with the teachings of Lord Krishna in particular the philosophy of karma. Kurukshetra is situated in the state of Haryana.

My Krishna Yatra would consist of  Gokul - Vrindavan - Mathura - Dwarka - Kurukshetra. But more than the worshipping part of the Yatra, my aim is to feel the spirits in the air, to hear the mesmerising sound of His bansuri (flute) and imagine the ras lila, to hear the comforting words of the Lord reassuring Arjun that He would return from age to age to protect the righteous, annihilate evil and re-establish dharma (right thought speech, action and duty).

And hopefully being there will transport me to that the time and place when my God walked the earth.

from Google maps - all places are approximate


Mathura, the birthplace of Lord Krishna 
picture source Wikipedia

Vrindavan 
picture source Wikipedia

Dwarka - Dwarkadheesh Temple 
picture source Wikipedia


Prince Arjun and Lord Krishna (his charioteer) on the battlefield at Kurukshetra
image source Wikipedia

Yada Yada Hi Dharmasya Glanir Bhavati Bharatha
Abhyuthanam Adharmasya Tadathmanam Srijamyaham.

Parithranaya Sadhunam Vinashayacha Dushkritham
Dharma Samsthapanarthaya Sambhavami Yuge Yuge 

Whenever there is a fall in righteousness and a rise of unrighteousness, I manifest

For the protection of the good, for the annihilation of evil and to re-establish righteousness, I appear millennium after millennium.

~Lord Krishna, Bhagavad Gita~

Join me tomorrow on my second journey.

Have a Glorious day and if you get some time drop by and visit the day 1 posts  and the letter G

(my 7 journeys series can be viewed here )

Warm Regards
Photobucket

   

55 comments:

  1. Good Luck with it Suzy. Mathura Vrindavan is my must visit recommendation to all...it is colorful and historic, lively and spiritual...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sugandha. I'm sure it is a very spiritual place. I hope that my dream of visiting will come true.

      Delete
  2. Nice post, peppered with some nice pictures as well.

    Good start to the Write Tribe Festival of words...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mahabore for dropping by and commenting. Much appreciated.

      Delete
  3. Krishna happens to be one of my favorites too...

    Look forward to the next journey. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rekspoursout. Lord Krishna is a favourite of a lot of people.

      Delete
  4. Hi Suji. I am also a great follower of Krishna. I am thrilled to see the photographs of Vrindavan, Dwarika and Mathura. Enchanting photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Usha. They look like beautiful places. Can't wait to go there.

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos of Vrindavan, Dwarika and Mathura! I too am curious to see these places and compare them to the wonderful verses written about them!

    Roshni
    http://www.indianamericanmom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roshni. I so want to visit. All who have been there have said it's an indescribable experience.

      Delete
  6. That's a great theme for the festival, Suzy! Enjoyed the Krishna Yatra with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shilpa. I hope you enjoy the others too.

      Delete
  7. It would be lovely to go on a trip like this. I haven't been to Kurukshetra yet. I will try doing this same Yatra someday. This is a wonderful theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jyothi. It would be lovely to do this trip. Glad you like my theme.

      Delete
  8. This is very informative. GLAD you shared it!
    ROG, ABC WEDNESDAY

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a great way to do a two-in-one Suzy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suresh. Didn't want to miss the ABC prompt.

      Delete
  10. That's a nice post to describe how you perceive the spiritual aspect of the Bhagvad Gita and how you want to visit the places where krishna lived. I went to Gokul a few years ago and it was an experience I cherish. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kajal. My cousins and I have been contemplating a yatra on my next visit to India. Let's see if it works out - Prabhu ki ichha hogi tho hum avashya jayenge.

      Delete
  11. I love visiting new places and soaking up the atmosphere. Lovely that you could visit these places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shail. not yet visited but hoping to someday.

      Delete
    2. I hope you get the chance to, soon!

      Delete
    3. I hope so Shail. Crossing my fingers, praying hard.

      Delete
  12. I have been to Dwarka, Dakor and Srinathji couple of times and its magical!

    The divinity that surrounds these places is beyond description :)

    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Me you are so lucky. I'm sure that God's imprints still linger there. Glad you liked my post. Thanks.

      Delete
  13. Wow! a traveller's delight this post was, Suzy. I do truly wish that you get to do this yatra, as you say, Some day!

    All the best and looking forward to reading rest of your Sevens.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I hope so too. Glad you liked my post and hope you'll like the rest too.

      Delete
  14. Very enlightening - I have a special place for Lord Krishna and my kid sister is an ardent devotee - thank you especially for highlighting the spiritual relationship of the Gopis and Krishna :-)

    The pictures are an added treat!

    Wishing all your travel dreams come true. Hari Bol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laxmi. The Krishna-Gopi relationship is a very misunderstood one. Yes, I hope this dream comes true. Jai Sri Krishna.

      Delete
  15. lovely informative post! to me krishna is very close to my heart and it is more love than worship that i have for him...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Little Princess. It's the same for me - more love for Lord Krishna than worship.

      Delete
  16. Suzy, you reminded me to make my own list which is pending since ages. And you know what... i am truly touched by the first para... isn't it strange how our a big chunk of our heart lies in our homeland!! I have been to this holy land and have enjoyed there. it is true that consumerism is trapping it as well and the locals and the priests there are ever ready to cheat you but His Holiness surpasses all.

    May you visit it soon and yes I am waiting for the post where the Google Images will be replaced by Suzy's gorgeous images.

    Eager for the unraveling of the entire list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pree. My soul lives in India. It's such a beautiful and spiritual country. I too hope that someday those images will be replaced by mine :) I hope you enjoy my other journeys.

      Delete
  17. Mythology and the mysteries associated with it always amuse me.
    Interesting places u have covered which all hav significance and are linked lord krishna
    :)
    good day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Afshan. Mythology and mysteries fascinate me.

      Delete
  18. Fascinating post, Suzy. As a Canadian, it's all so new and interesting to learn about India and its different cultures and religions. Thanks for taking me along on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. I'm so glad you found it interesting. It's my pleasure to take you along.

      Delete
  19. Nice post and Nice pictures too!!
    India is an absolute treasure of beautiful places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Me. India is really a beautiful country - historical and spiritual.

      Delete
  20. I've never been to India, but would love to visit someday. I enjoyed your post although the places are completely foreign to me. Very peaceful imagery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Talya. Glad you enjoyed it. I hope you will visit India - it's an amazing country.

      Delete
  21. Lovely post Suzy. I know what you mean. Have been to Vrindavan but so want to go to Mathura. For me, religious reasons were there too when I visited Vrindavan, its about the air of the place. That air fills you with so much positivity. I remember when I went to Vaishno Devi early this year with family, after darshan on the way back, when I looked at the lit-up Bhavan from a distance, I had tears in my eyes. No reason to explain that but that experience was beyond words and something I have never had before.
    Good luck for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naina - A spiritual journey is always a very fulfilling and satisfying experience and I'm sure very emotional too. I hope my journeys will become reality.

      Delete
  22. Beautiful post bout Lord Krishna and love the pics:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The 'G' factor is really cool, Suzy! Enjoyed reading you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sayantini. Lots of G words associated with Lord Krishna.

      Delete
  24. A lovely post Suzy. I am not much of a spiritual person, but your write evokes a fascination for the unknown.The pics are indeed tempting one to visit these legendary places. All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sunita. Glad it evokes interest. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  25. Beautiful post. I would love to visit all the places you have mentioned. Loved the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Finally got here - only to find that I had to scroll so far down all the comments you got, Suzy.
    I haven't been to any of the places you mentioned, but I can see how they would have a pull to a devotee of Lord Krishna. Hope you can make this journey someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Corinne. I hope so too. Lord Krishna is a popular bloke :)

      Delete
  27. Suzy, I discovered this wonderful post today through FB....lovely indeed. I would definitely recommend Mathura & Vrindavan, other places I have yet to go...Dwarka is high on my list too :) Hope you can make these journeys someday soon. And congrats for the 2000 views :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you visited.

However, any inappropriate comments will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright Protection