Friday, May 27, 2011

No Ordinary Moments

A few days ago I  had an interview at 9.00 am and decided not to chance being late by taking the bus.  So instead I indulged and took a taxi.

 I had allowed for 50 mins in case of slow traffic but found myself zooming into town and getting in with half an hour to spare.

I thought I would stop by and say hello to my daughter but found her shop hadn't opened yet so I decided to walk to my favourite shop - Farmers.

Instead I found myself turning into Borders and up the escalator to my favourite section - Mind Body and Spirit.

I turned into the aisle and stopped right in front of a book that jumped out at me - No Ordinary Moments by Dan Millman.

In the last 16 months I have been to Borders several times - no books have jumped out at me. The urge to go into the bookstore hasn't been there either.

So when my feet took me in and stopped dead in front of this book, I knew I had to buy it.

Dan Millman is one of my favourite authors and strange but true his other books also jumped out at me at Borders - Way of the Peaceful Warrior and The Journeys of Socrates. They belong to my collection of favourite books and No Ordinary Moments is also proving to be one I can add to that.

This post is triggered from a paragraph in the book. A distinct and strong urge to write this post came over me as I read it.


"Life comforts the disturbed and disturbs the comfortable. Sometimes, out of nowhere, Spirit lands a left hook that really shakes us up; we get slammed into the ropes, knocked to the canvas. Maybe the shock comes in the form of a financial crisis, a death in the family, a divorce, or an illness or injury. Hard times provide opportunities that don't come around when life is comfortable."


In the next few posts I will share some  of the major left hooks that Spirit has bestowed upon me, ropes I've slammed into and canvases I've been knocked into and the lessons each event has taught me.

Posts in this series:
What Seems Impossible Is Possible
Be Here Now
The Universe Sends Clues
Appreciate Life
The Lesson Must Be Learned
Paddle Downstream


 

10 comments:

  1. I love the title of the book, it has magick written all over it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a kindle but still nothing like a brand new book .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking of buying a kindle. It would save a lot of money as books are expensive.

      Delete
  3. That paragraph reminded me of a quote I like, though I think it's true of both women and men:

    "A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great quote. I think it's true too. But I hope I've finished my share of the hot water!

      Delete
  4. That sounds like a book I might enjoy. I'll check it out. Nicely done, Miss.♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a shame about Borders closing. It's amazing the difference a year makes. I guess that's another example of life shocking us.


    Catch My Words
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a shame. I liked the Borders shop.

      Delete

Please leave a comment so I know you visited.

However, any inappropriate comments will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright Protection