Tuesday, May 8, 2012

An Opportunity to tell my story about blogging and friends

Do you believe in Synchronicity?

Well here's a classic example - three unrelated topics that will make the perfect post together.


Opportunity from  The Writers Post


Telling My Story from Blogging for Fun

Blogging and Friends from Living with Food Allergies and Celiac Disease and Bongo and Me




So here is my post, an opportunity to tell my story about blogging and friends.

An Opportunity Arises
I've always wanted to write. When I was in school, my teacher thought I was a pretty poor writer, and because of that I never tried hard at it. But years later, the web presented the perfect opportunity for creative expression. So here I am ... writing, blogging. How cool is that.


Blogging - My Story
I started blogging 2 years ago when a workmate asked me to join in a "30 days of me" challenge.

I had never blogged before so I made this a private blog and invited family and friends to join me in my 30 day journey. I enjoyed it so much that I decided to keep blogging when that was completed. Still private 'cos I wasn't comfortable in a public space.

Then a year ago, I was between jobs and a sense of panic overcame me. And one day I suddenly had an urge to write in the public arena. It was scary. But I went with the feeling and trusted that the Universe knows what I must do. And so I started and I write as I am guided by it (the Universe).

I know over the year my style of blogging has changed and I've experimented with different posts.
I've enjoyed writing each one but I think the ones I've had the most fun with are my haiku posts. In the last 5 months, I've also felt a shift in my perspective of life and my blog now reflects that - being positive, hopeful, joyful and loving, enjoying life and having fun. I hope you feel it too.

I have two blogs, this one, where I write and my Photos are Fun blog, where I post pictures from my travels. My photo blog is dedicated to my late father whose love of photography I share.

Friends 
Long before the days of the Internet, friends were "made" through social interactions - in school, at University, at work, through our friends and relatives. Friends come and go but some of them stick around with you for the long haul. These are my lovely school / university friends that I still love and cherish and feel an inexplicable bond with. When we meet, the years simply melt away.

And then I had my pen-friends or pen-pals. Much like the internet, these were friends you wrote to (via pen and paper, the old fashioned way) from around the world and shared a friendship with. I had about 100 pen-pals much to my father's dismay as postage was not cheap back then in India. But this was perfect for me. A chance to "write" and not requiring a face to face interaction, a chance to just be myself. (I was a shy quiet kid).

I still keep in touch with 4 of my pen-pals. We've been friends for nearly 40 years. And I've had the pleasure of meeting two of them. What a thrill that was!

In 1988 I moved to New Zealand and have made some lovely friends here. And then a year ago when I took up blogging, I have linked up with so many wonderful people, all of you my lovely virtual friends.

So my friends are all over the world. Each one brings a new dimension to my life. Some uplift me with fun and laughter, others nourish my spiritual needs and others provide a sympathetic ear and support when I need it. But above all I feel the love, virtual or real, it's always there.

Thank you my wonderful friends. This world of mine is a happier, lovelier place because you are in it.

Sending you all a virtual hug and tons of love.

Warm Regards
Photobucket





34 comments:

  1. It's really interesting to hear your story! Thanks for sharing it, it's nice to know a little something about my 'internet friends'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat. Glad you enjoyed that. I'm by and large a private person but now and then I share a snippet of my life. Thank you my friend for your love and support at a time when I needed it the most.

      Delete
  2. Suzy, this is a lovely piece and just for the record, Oh, you CAN write!
    I am so glad we found each other and I totally enjoy stopping in to visit and having you visit me. Our exchanges only serve to bring us closer, virtually and heart to heart. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I am so glad too that we found each other. I feel your love and support all the time. Thank you. <3

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful, heartfelt post, Suzy! I loved reading how you entered the "blogosphere" and how much your life has changed because of this.
    And, feeling the love, being uplifted by others, just through our words - what could be better? Giving back to them in our comments, thanking them, as I'm thanking you, for the wonderful inspiration and insight. What a wonderful, encouraging, inspiring world in which to live!
    So glad to meet you and so looking forward to getting to know you better with every blog you write.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha. Your comment brought tears to my eyes. I am so glad to meet you too. My world has changed because of all of you. love and hugs.

      Delete
  4. How extraordinary is life when you stop telling the universe and let it guide you... Welcome to the group Blogplicity and kudos for joining in on the Friends and Blogging Blog Hop. I am so glad you took a chance and went public with your posts and I look forward to reading more of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Forjenssake. It took me a long time to figure out, that the best thing I could do was go with the flow.

      Delete
  5. Your teacher certainly wasn't much of an encourager. You are a really good writer and I'm glad for whoever and whatever got you into the blogging world. And my thanks to the universe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darlene. And thanks to my lovely friend and ex co-worker Dawn for getting me into the blogging sphere. And yes always thanks to the Universe.

      Delete
  6. I do believe in synchronicity ~ connectedness, same thoughts :D

    You were able to thread three wonderful hops altogether :) I am very glad that you have decided to write. The only way to decipher if you're good at it or not is to do it.

    Wow, you have friends everywhere and penpals :D Very good for you.

    It's nice to meet you through this hop :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa. I also believe in synchronicity and synchrodestiny. It's great to meet you too.

      Delete
  7. I am not to impressed with your teacher. That teacher must have been an idiot, because you my friend can write. You write very well. So glad you decided to write in spite of that teacher!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy for your encouragement. He probably didn't like my style of writing.

      Delete
  8. I loved this post--you really did pull those themes together so well!! How neat you got to meet your pen pals!! I always lost touch with my pen pals. I would love to visit NZ someday!!

    You really write well. I enjoy visiting your blog... I can't imagine someone told you that you were not a good writer...so much for encouragement!! I'm glad you decided to try it out and go public with it!! Keep it at--it can be so much fun :)

    Cheers, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn. Yes, I met my Italian and Australian pen-pals. Both came over to visit me in India and I am still in touch with them. It was so much fun. I'm also in touch with my Canadian and Puerto Rican pen-pals. All 4 are awesome ladies.
      Would love to have you over in NZ. come visit.
      I'm glad I tried out blogging too. Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  9. Good for you for being open to the forces of the universe. It's bound to led you interesting directions! I'm happy to have come across your blog through the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adriene. Took me a long time to get it and more than interesting it has led me to being a happier person, at peace with myself. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  10. That is such a great testimonial to friendship... of any kind ☺ I don't know where you have been, but so happy that you landed in our hop! What a delightful story and so very true. When I began blogging, it seemed like the whole world opened up to me. I can have friends all over the world without ever leaving my home. Some I have had the pleasure of meeting in person, and others I have met through live skype. With these means, I have learned more about other cultures and beliefs in the last two years, than I have in my entire life! What a wonderful way of communication ☺ Thank you so much for participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. Blogging has certainly changed my life too. I am so glad I took to it. I never feel alone now. love and hugs.

      Delete
  11. Thanks Tbaoo. Sometimes things need to fall apart to fall together again. Yes blogging and hopping is an awesome idea. Thanks for visiting. Have an awesome day - one where things fall into place. love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How nice to connect with you via this hop, Suzy. I'm glad that you were encouraged to write by your friend and that you then 'found' blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Corinne. glad to meet you too. love the name of your blog Everyday Gyaan.

      Delete
  13. Dear Suzy,
    I'm so glad you changed the status of your blog to public, otherwise I might not have had the privilege of meeting you (smile). My wife has had a pen-pal for more than 30+ years. They met once and are still very much in contact today. Lovely, heartfelt post. Thanks for sharing.

    Don't forget to bookmark your calendar for the next Blog Hop Saturday! on June 2nd. Hope to see you linkup again! Take care & enjoy the week ahead! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. I'm glad too I decided to open up my blog. June 2nd has been bookmarked.

      Delete
  14. Wow, thank you for sharing about your blogging journey, Suzy! Good for you for still grabbing the opportunity to write through blogging even if your teacher told you back then that you couldn't write (I certainly hate discouraging comments like that!). It's amazing how blogging can be such an adventure, allowing us to "meet" people from different walks of life, learning from them, and eventually, becoming really good friends with them!

    Stopping by from the Blogging and Friends Hop! Take care and God bless! <3 :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene. I enjoy it so much and have linked up with so many awesome people. Thanks for following me.

      Delete
  15. Hi, Suzy! ~

    WoW! Two of my favorite words 'Serendipity' and 'Synchronicity' in your first two lines -- that's go to be a good sign ;-)

    Looks like we're both in Blogplicity, yet I don't think I've ever met you before. About time I'd say -- we have ALOT in common, including passion for Vision Boards and Photography!

    When you have a chance, I hope you'll check out my Blog Hop post at:
    http://www.dangerouslinda.com/?p=2000

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. They are my favourite words too. Thanks so much for linking up with me.

      Delete
  16. Suzy, I am sorry it took me so long to get here... pen pals .. wow like real pen and paper...I had a few back i the day.. but over the years lost touch... I don't know you well yet but am thrilled you took part in this blog hop and I look forward to connecting through Blogplicity and words...as always...XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bongo. I'm glad to be connected with all of you. love and hugs.

      Delete

Please leave a comment so I know you visited.

However, any inappropriate comments will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright Protection