Wednesday, May 16, 2012

ABC Wednesday - Round 10 - R is for ...



RIVER is my word this week for my ABC Wednesday post.

This was an easy one as one of these songs is one of my favourites.




River Deep Mountain High

Is a 1966 single by Ike and Tina Turner. It was written and produced by Phil Spector and became one of Tina Turner's signature songs. In 1999 it was inducted in the Grammy Hall of Fame.

Several artists have released this song - Jimmy Barnes, Neil Diamond, Annie Lenox. Celine Dion sung this one in several of her live shows.

It's one of my favourite songs.

I thought of posting Tina Turner's version but I like this version by Glee.


Youtube - River deep mountain high


Rivers of Babylon

Was written and recorded by Brent Dowe and Trevor McNaughton of the Jamaican reggae group The Melodiansin in 1970 but was popularised in Europe in 1978 by Boney M.

The song is based on the Biblical hymn Psalm 137:1-4 and also has words from Psalm 19:14.

It's one of my favourite Boney M numbers.




Check out other riveting R entries at ABC Wednesday and have a relaxing day.


Warm Regards
Photobucket


10 comments:

  1. Dear Suzy,
    Great choices again this week. I actually prefer Miss Tina's version of the song. According to my wife, Boney M were very popular in the UK. Thanks for sharing & visiting.

    Return To Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. It's such an awesome song that all versions are good - even mine lol.

      Delete
  2. Nothing beats Tina Turner's version, that wall of sound coming straight at you and blowing your mind.
    Joy - ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep she's pretty good - I like Lena Zavaroni's version too.

      Delete
  3. Linda Ronstadt does a 52 second version of river of Babylon.
    The relative commercial failure of River Deep made Spector crazy, possibly literally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will have to look up Linda Ronstadt's version. I haven't heard her's before.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed listening to your "R" songs. Have never heard the Babylon Song. Good choices.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. On of my favorite river songs is Garth Brook's The River. Boney M - after years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hadn't heard that song but I have now and it is beautiful - very inspirational. thanks for that.

      Delete

Please leave a comment so I know you visited.

However, any inappropriate comments will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright Protection