Thursday, August 4, 2011

Thursday Thoughts - Blessings in Disguise








Many years ago when I was in school, someone tore strips off me for something I was supposed to have done.

A close friend of hers apparently told a story about me which she believed because of course it was her friend who had told it.

She never gave me a chance to tell my side of the story and I was too timid to fight back and frankly I was also quite taken aback with her behaviour.

It hurt me deeply as I had a great admiration and respect for this person. I also believe that I lost a position of responsibility because of that incident. Needless to say I never respected her again and it took many many years to forgive her.

But years later as a manager I found myself in a situation with two of my staff. My mind went zooming back to that day in school.

That incident reminded me that there are always two sides to a story and as a manager it was my duty and it was only fair to hear them both.

The details of the situation are not important. But I will say that all 3 of us dealt with it in a respectful and sensible way.

It is possible that if my incident in school had not occurred, I may have dealt with the situation differently and perhaps not as effectively.

Sometimes incidents in our life are sent to us because they are meant to teach us and prepare us for situations in our life that are yet to come.

These are our blessings in disguise. Painful at that time but necessary to make us better human beings in the future.






2 comments:

  1. True words that have sent me tingly all over. Like you I truly believe these situations are presented to us to make us stronger people. My daughter (12) is currently experiencing a fall out with her closest friend. The wrong doing was indeed my daughter's fault but a lesson has been learnt. Like you someday she will reflect on this time of her life which will help her to make the right decisions in the future. God bless x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate, thanks for your comment. It's a tough thing for a 12 year old to go through but all things happen for a reason. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment so I know you visited.

However, any inappropriate comments will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright Protection