Saturday, July 27, 2013

ABC Wednesday - Bridges

Continuing on the architecture theme, which is not my intention, this week my choice for B is bridges.

And what better place in the world than the USA for bridges.

When my son was little he was fascinated with bridges so we took pictures of bridges wherever we went.

Here is the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. The mists often roll into the bay but we were so lucky. Both the days in San Francisco were sunny and clear.



But it was the Bay bridge that fascinated the kid the most. I wonder why?  He didn't have an explanation as to why he liked it so much - he just did! Here it is, taken from outside the military base - Treasure Island exit. I'm banned from posting pictures of my kids, but the smile on his face in this pic was priceless.




The Rainbow bridge at the Niagara Falls spans the Niagara River Gorge, connecting USA and Canada. This picture was taken during an Autumn visit from the Skylon Tower. Not a great day at the Falls, but the colours were beautiful and my son loved the bridge.




New York is the place for bridges and a fascinating city. So here are some bridges in New York.

The George Washington Bridge connects New York and New Jersey across the Hudson River. This pic is taken from Yonkers at dusk. I wasn't sure how this would turn out as I had to zoom quite a bit but it turned out okay.



The Verrazano-Narrows bridge connects Staten Island to Brooklyn and is the longest suspension bridge in the USA. Picture taken from the Staten Island ferry.



And last but definitely not the least is the Tappan Zee Bridge. This is my son's favourite bridge. I remember the first time he saw it, his eyes lit up. It was like he had seen heaven. Pictures taken during a Winter visit to New York.






Linking to ABC Wednesday


Have a Beautiful day.

Warm Regards
Photobucket

 

12 comments:

  1. I have been to every bridge on your list! Most recent was Rainbow Bridge just this past May! http://www.rogerogreen.com/2013/05/05/coming-back-to-america/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good post - I've been to the Niagara twice - both times with passport :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the fascinating collection of bridges! They are all very interesting, Suzy! Good choice for B. Have a great weekend.
    Wil, ABCW Team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wil. Glad you liked them. Enjoy your week.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful shots! My favorite bridge spans the Mississippi River between Tennessee and Arkansas:)) My sister and I always tried to hold our breath crossing but it was too long...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Talya. Will have to look up that bridge. I've seen the Mississippi River at St. Louis.

      Delete
  4. Just loved your bridges post and your gorgeous photos, Suzy! You sure have travelled extensively. I agree with your son that bridges are cool! Something magical and a bit scary about bridges, I find. We put so much trust in them that they're going to hold us up while we drive across. I recently spent time going back and forth on the George Washington Bridge when visiting Facebook friends in New Jersey and going over to NYC. I got to know it quite well when we were stuck in traffic jams. Yikes! I'll never complain about Ottawa traffic again. I especially like the great big bridges like the Jacques Cartier bridge in Montreal that allows big ships to pass underneath. It's a similar design to the Golden Gste bridge in San Francisco, a suspension bridge. That was always my favourite bridge when living in Montreal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. Glad you liked my post. So true that we put so much trust in bridges - I always wonder how they hold up - will have to wait until my son becomes an architect I guess to understand that. I've been across the GWB as well - on both levels. Will have to look up the JC bridge.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos, Suzy! I must admit, I think bridges are fantastic to look at, but driving over them? Whoa! Gives me the heebie-jeebies. Glad Danny does this for me. :)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha. They do look quite grand. I try not to think I'm going over a bridge when I'm on it otherwise I would be too tense. Blessings to you too my friend.

      Delete
  6. wow!! I love all your pics! Yes, too bad we also can't see your son's expression! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roshni. Yep, unfortunately I'm banned from posting their pics - and one has to honour and respect their request.

      Delete

Please leave a comment so I know you visited.

However, any inappropriate comments will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright Protection