Thursday, October 6, 2011

Thursday Thoughts - Emptying the cup













A university professor went to visit a famous Zen master in Kyoto, in search of knowledge. 
While the monk served tea, the professor commented exercises, analysed writing, interpreted stories and traditions, and deliberated on the ancient processes of meditation. 
He did everything to impress his host, in the hopes that he might be accepted as a disciple. 
As he spoke, the monk continued to fill his cup, until it overflowed and the tea began to flow across the whole table.  
The professor remarked - What are you doing? Can't you see the cup is full, and that nothing more will fit in it?
Your soul is like this cup - replied the master - How can I teach you the true art of Zen Buddhism, if it is already filled with theories?
                                                                      ~ from The Warrior of the Light Volume 3, Paulo Coelho 


Today I went for three interviews with recruitment agencies. And as I sat through each one, I reflected on all that I had learned, experienced and achieved.

One of the questions I got asked was ... if I rate you as 7/10 what would you do to get to 10/10? I gave him a pretty good answer but pondered on it almost all afternoon.

And then as today is a Thursday Thought day, I searched my "Warrior of the Light" book and came across the story above. Just what I needed. A confirmation of my answer to that recruitment agent.

At the end of every project I deliver or at the conclusion of each job I have to "empty my cup" and start again because each situation is different, each job / project presents different challenges and provides new knowledge. What works for one project may be the wrong way for another. Being prepared to re-learn, re-start, going back to zero, is how I move forward though on the surface it might look like "emptying the cup" moves you backwards. I'm not sure that the recruitment agent actually got that.

I have discovered that I have grown or discovered a new ability when I have been prepared to "empty my cup" - learn, change direction, re-start. This of course does not mean that I throw away all that I've learned it just means I am open to another way of looking at things or considering an alternative or relearning / enhancing a skill.

And it's quite refreshing to "empty the cup".

Enjoy your day.

Warm Regards



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment so I know you visited.

However, any inappropriate comments will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyright Protection